This is after my flying lesson. I'm still standing! The guy on the right is the instructor, Dustin. When we were driving up to the airport, we saw the helicopter flying and it was bigger than I expected. But when I got up close to it, and looked inside . . . it's tiny! Don't ask me why, but I wasn't nervous. After some required instruction on engine failure, and going down the preflight checklist, we just lifted off the ground, and hovered around the tarmac while he showed me what levers and pedals do what. Then we flew off and got really high up. The instructor gave me the controls. I was so busy checking the horizon and keeping the nose level, I didn't have time to be nervous. So I can now say I actually flew a helicopter. I also got my flight logged, which goes toward my hours. The school has a flight simulator, so I can rack up some hours at less cost than actually flying. All I need now is lots of money. I have to go rock my 3 month old to sleep -- more to come.
Saturday, May 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hazel is a chopper pilot??? Who'd 'a thunk it! We're proud of you, but don't forget to autorotate... ;-)
Unca Rog
Seriously, all those directions! It reminds me of the time I tried to kayak after years of canoing... I was all over the place! :) I'm proud of you!
I know it's hard to soar with eagles when you hang with turkeys, so keep at it!
Just kiddin' - Jason
Post a Comment